The first meeting was held on 2 June 1934 at The MacMillan Hall, Newton Stewart with 20 members present and Mr R Hamilton of Glenrazie as Chair.
Almost a year later, the club was officially formed on 23 April 1935 and with the aim to foster cooperation and education within the local branches.
The suggestions for the name of the Association were:
‘Machars & District Association’ ‘Wigtownshire and District Association’
‘Western Galloway Association’
‘The Western Galloway Association’ was unanimously agreed by the people present, it would cover the whole of Wigtownshire and the western district of Kirkcudbrightshire, west of the river Fleet. 15 members joined immediately, paying the subscription of 2/6d (2 Shillings and 6 pence) on the spot!
The branches formed within the association were:
Newton Stewart Kirkcowan Wigtown Glenluce
Creetown Minigaff Whithorn
Membership figures rose to a maximum of 283 in 1949 – this could have had something to do with the fact that rationing was still in place! During this time, beekeepers were known as ‘sugar beekeepers’!